Latest news (July 18th): A fun aftermovie is now available!
MODXpo 2022 is taking place at Van der Valk Hotel Arnhem, the Netherlands. The hotel and conference center is located on the outskirts of Arnhem with a great (international) train connection, just over an hour from Schiphol Airport as well. The hotel will host us from the early morning till dawn.
We're booked in room 4 and 5, on the first floor directly upstairs the lobby. An elevator is available and the entire venue is wheelchair accessible.
Pictures by Van der Valk Hotel Arnhem.
The conference will begin at 9:30, with registration from 8:30. We'll be through all the amazing content at about 18:00, after which we continue in the bar for drinks and a walking dinner. The open bar is tentatively scheduled to last until 21:00, but may be extended if we confirm more sponsors.
The after party at conferences is usually just as valuable as the main event, so we do suggest to stick around if you can. There are a few options for hotels in the immediate area.
Price indications based on published rates
April June 2022. Likely to change.
- Van der Valk Hotel Arnhem
€95€129 per night incl breakfast
Use booking code: ARN-MODXpo2022 (10% discount on online price, subject to availability)
This is our recommendation for a place to stay, as it's where the conference takes place so you can just walk from breakfast to the conference.
- Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Wolfheze
€45€56-71 per night, excl breakfast
Use booking code: MODMORE (10% discount on online price, subject to availability)
One of the cheapest hotel options in the area. If you're coming by car, this could be an affordable alternative only a 7 minute drive away. However: there are no convenient public transport options from this hotel to the venue. Without private transport, it's a 50 minute walk or 15 minute bike ride (can be rented at hotel) partially through the heather and forest. Likely to be beautiful this time of year, but perhaps not a great option for solo travelers. If you'd like us to connect you to other people staying at this hotel to share a taxi with, let us know.
- Hotel Papendal
€99€114 per night incl breakfast
Located 12 minutes walking down the road, Hotel Papendal is uniquely located on a well-known facility for top athletes. Depending on the room type you get access to the fitness facilities and such as well.
Alternatively you could stay in any hotel in the Arnhem city center such as ibis Styles Arnhem Centrum (€93/night, right at central station) or Bastion Hotel Arnhem (€85/night, 15 min walk from central station) and make your way to the venue with bus 105, described below. Do note the timetable for the last bus leaving from the venue on Friday to the city center. There are also various B&Bs and apartments available.
Arnhem has great (international) train connections which we would definitely encourage over flying.
- Locally: Arnhem is located centrally (albeit slightly east) in the Netherlands, with excellent train connections from any direction.
- From Germany and beyond: Arnhem is the first stop of many international trains entering from Germany, connected through high speed rail with Duisburg to every corner of Germany and beyond.
- From Belgium, France, and the United Kingdom: High speed international rail arrivals at Amsterdam Central Station can connect to a direct rail line to Arnhem in just over an hour.
- By plane: Schiphol Airport is the most convenient flight option, as it has a direct connection headed for Arnhem in just 1h12m, departing from the train station right on the airport. Weeze Airport (DE) is fairly close-by, just 50 minutes by car, but expect 2-3 hours when dependent on public transport (about 50 minutes by car) due to needing several connections. Eindhoven Airport (NL) is similar; about an hour by car but 2,5-3 hours by public transport. Could of course consider (sharing) a taxi or rental car.
Once you've made your way to Arnhem Central Station, take RRReis bus 105 heading to Barneveld, and get out at stop Van der Valk/Papendal. This trip takes about 12 minutes, and will place you right at the venue. Just cross the street and you're there!
For your return trip, do not cross the street, but instead go right when leaving the venue and follow the road for 150m to get to the bus stop.
Dutch OV Chipkaart holders can use their card to check in and out for €2,16 per one-way trip. International visitors can pay the bus driver with a debit card for €2,45 per one-way trip. Cash is not accepted on the bus.
Please note that the bus connection is not listed as wheelchair friendly. If you wish to come via public transport but are wheelchair bound or unable to walk a short distance, contact Mark and we'll try to help.
Bus 105 timetable
The bus from Arnhem Central Station departs twice an hour (at xx:26 and xx:58), so if you plan to arrive on the morning of the conference, the 8:26 or 8:56 buses would be ideal. On weekdays the bus departs Arnhem CS from 6:25 through 22:28.
Getting back to Arnhem Central station from the hotel is simply the opposite schedule. Instead of crossing the street to the bus stop where you got off on your way in, go right from the venue and follow the road for 150m to reach the bus stop for bus 105 headed for Arnhem CS.
- On weekdays the bus stops twice an hour at xx:07 and xx:37 between 6:07 and 22:07.
- On Saturday the bus stops once an hour at xx:07 from 8:07 to 22:07 with extra buses at xx:37 from 9:37 through 16:37
- On Sunday the bus stops once an hour at xx:07 from 9:07 trough 22:07.
Getting there by car
There are 170 free parking spots around the hotel. A few EV fast chargers (north side of the parking lot) are available for 30 minutes of charging. Costs may apply.
MODXpo 2022 was made possible with help from our partners
Help us organise an amazing conference by sharing the MODXpo!
Thanks to sponsors we can keep ticket prices affordable, pay speakers a fair compensation for their efforts, and offer an amazing event with just three months to organize it all.
Interested in sponsoring? See sponsor opportunies »
Get our newsletter
Get updates on the MODXpo, and other news from modmore. 1-2 emails per month.